While DynDOLOD itself is not half as performance-intense (or complex) as some people make it out to be, the guide has you set up 3D tree LOD with the Medium or High preset which can significantly hurt performance. In order to tone down the impact to negligible, you will have to return to regular tree LOD and potentially use a different preset.
Fortunately you will not have to re-run TexGen. When you generated it in the Finalisation you were given a choice between two texture sizes depending on the amount of VRAM you have available.
DISABLE INCOMPATIBLE MODS
First up you will have to disable Enhanced Landscapes – Solstheim 3D Trees in your load order as it only contains billboards for DynDOLOD 3D trees. The main tree overhaul – Enhanced Vanilla Trees – contains billboards for both versions of LOD.
RE-ENABLE REGULAR TREE LOD
- Navigate to
Your Modding Folder\Tools\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD.
- Double-click DynDOLOD_SSE.ini and change the following line:
REMOVE OLD DYNDOLOD OUTPUT
- Back in Mod Organizer 2, scroll down to the DYNDOLOD separator and delete DynDOLOD_Output.
- Run DynDOLOD through Mod Organizer 2.
- A window will come up, click Advanced.
- You can see all worldspaces in a list at the top. Right-click inside and click Select all.
- Next, select a preset – Low or Medium.
- Under Options, Generate tree LOD should be checked.
- Double-check with the picture below that everything is configured correctly.
- Click OK and step away from your PC while DynDOLOD is working (typically takes around 20 minutes for me).
- Once DynDOLOD is done, click Save and Exit.
- Go to
Your Modding Folder\Tools\DynDOLOD.
- Cut (don’t copy) the DynDOLOD_output folder and paste it to
Mod Organizer 2\mods.
- Refresh (F5) Mod Organizer and it will appear at the bottom of your load order.
- Place it below the DYNDOLOD separator and activate it.
- Move DynDOLOD.esm below your other ESMs at the top of your load order and leave DynDOLOD.esp at the very bottom.